Sound administration and mainly an efficient organization of higher and university education as well as scientific research necessitate the presence and availability of books in each field related to the various academic programmes of the university.
In accordance with this, the Kigali Independent University strives to boost up the Gisenyi Campus library both in quality as well as in quantity, by providing the library with qualified personnel and by purchasing regularly and continuously multiple books. As of today, the Gisenyi Campus Library has more than 25,000 volumes.
The ULK library items are not only consulted by our own students; but also by those of the other high learning organizations of Eastern DRC, particularly those from the City of Goma. Services provided by our library have become more and more performing and efficient due to the computerization of its activities, through electronic access to the books catalogue.
We therefore look forward to future fruitful exchanges at the national and international level.
The duties of the library Director, Gisenyi Campus, are as follow:
• Planning, Organizing, Directing and Controlling all the activities related to the ULK library;
• Defining, formulating and proposing to the high decision-making spheres, policies and strategies for managing the library and assuming the follow-up of its activities;
• Supervising activities of selecting books and other printed audio-visual or electronic documents and recommending their procurement;
• Coordinating activities aiming at arranging, classifying and cataloguing the library items;
• Planning, organizing and controlling the book borrowing system;
• Conducting research in library science and analyzing or modifying, if need be, the library services in function of the evolution of the users’ needs;
• Advising the institution in its relations with third parties as concerns diverse issues related to the library services, to documentation and information;
• Controlling expenditures and looking forward to the rational utilization of material and human resources of his service;
• Preparing and directing meetings relating to his service and formulating a report to his hierarchical authority;
• Carrying out other related functions and any task requested by the hierarchy.